Sunday, February 18, 2018

A Good Idea on Sheds Denied by State of Utah



Have you ever owned your own piece of property and just wanted to build a small shed to store your camping equipment; maybe your ATV, tractor or other piece of equipment?

Well, practically the majority of people go ahead and build it and never get caught by the local building department.

I simply wanted to amend the IRC with a state amendment that would allow you to build the structure when it complied with the outlines of the code; meaning under 200 square feet, without having to get a permit.

I had purchased approximately ten acres of recreation property and got tired of hauling all of my equipment out to the property including my travel trailer every time we wanted to go have fun.  Being an inspector I did not want to get caught building a small, under 200 square feet shed, without permission.

Well, the local CBO, Chief Building Official, said that one could not be built without a permit and inspections.  Whaaaa!  The metal shed from the local building supply was only about $250.  The permit and inspection process was going to exceed that.

So, I went to do something about it and I thought it was a good idea.  It was DENIED! 

The following is the link to my attempt at amending the code in favor of property owners.

https://www.utah.gov/pmn/files/72199.pdf

Please tell me what you think about the amendment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment